Friday, 29 May 2009

Playing with Roses

I have two more cushions underway - the front panel of one is just about to go in the washing machine before being tumbled - it should have been in there already but after going around the house gathering up some whites to go in with it - I left it out!

I'm a bit stuck with the other until the postman brings me some more Italian Quilting wool. I was hoping that the little shop where the wool came from originally still stocked it but it wasn't to be - still who can be surprised - things do change during the course of 2 decades! Just hope the Anchor stuff is similar to what I've been using - I have no idea what brand it was.

Some weeks back we saw these cushions in one of the major high street chains but at £30 a piece they were beyond our budget.


I had a good look to see how they were constructed and continuing with the textural theme ..............


My little sample is about 2" wide so I can see that I'm going to need very long strips to get to a decent size flower without a break - not sure where I'm going with that as I'm supposed to be using whatever I have in my stash and I have a feeling that too many compact little roses might look more like a bridal accessory ............... we shall see!

5 comments:

Gina said...

Your rose looks great... but it's going to use a lot of fabric!

Chris Gray Textile Art said...

Lovely textures! Must be a bit of a fiddle getting the machine foot in there and still seeing what you're doing......

Judy said...

I've made ribbon roses, but haven't seen any like these. If trying to figure out how they're made. It looks like bias strips are stitched down the center in a spiral shape. Is that right?

Mermaids Purse said...

Yes, my strips were 1" wide and about 20" long. I turned the short edge over twice a little bit and stitched through the centre of the strip (turned edge upwards) for 4 or 5 stitches (stitch length 2.5) then turned to try and make an open triangle (although sometimes it took four sdes) with the last one a little longer ready to go around the outside again if that makes sense. I found it easier with the open toe embroidery foot which enabled me to see where I was going. There might be an easier. better or even "proper" way! Hope this helps.

Elmsley Rose said...

oooooo! I gottta make me one of these!!!!!
I'd do it in a dark rich colour and probably use velvet ribbon (13 years in the Goth scene has left it's mark!)