Tuesday 2 June 2009

Another One Finished ....................


The brief (my own of course) was to create some cushions for everday use which will withstand laundering well ie. still look good this time next year. I've learnt that tassels, beads etc. on cushions in this house don't wear too well!

There is a secondary purpose for the ones I am doing at the moment too - a relative of my husband always says to me "I only have my old industrial machine which doesn't do anything fancy like zig zag so I only do ordinary sewing". I don't know if her machine has the ability to do FME but I hope to show her that there are other things she can do with straight stitch,


I am continuing with the roses. I took the following pic the other day so I have done more now - 30 to be precise. I need to do 64 and that's without the little filling in ones!




Is it fun to do? I'm not sure. It requires a high level of concentration so can be quite tiring. It is a fiddle. I'm not really sure what is best but I am using the open toe embroidery foot so at least I can see where I'm going.and the mini screwdriver to poke fabric out of the way.

Like the chenille, this technique does use a lot of fabric but these three cream cushions have been created from the back (plain cotton for the chenille and roses) and front (for the backing fabric) of a little used quilt cover acquired when my parents changed one of their spare bedrooms into a living space a few years ago. I had intended to cut it down to a single size which would have been a good deal quicker but just never got round to it so, for me, they have been economical and the ready made buttonholes and pearl buttons have been useful too .....................


2 comments:

Tammy T. said...

Hi, I've just recently connected to your blog via "Stitchin Fingers". I have been admiring your pillows, the faux chenille inparticular. I just adore it! A while back I started planning on getting back into machine sewing and pillows is on my list of to do's. I'm really gonna' have to give this a try. Thanks so much for sharing, your work is lovely.
ps: this is the first time I have ever heard of faux chenille but in any case yours looks perfect to me.
Tammy

Anonymous said...

Loving this blog and the texture you include in your work.

Just as an aside - it is possible to do free motion work without lowering the feeddogs
You can use masking tape to cover up the feeddogs (the not very sticky one is best)

You can also set your stitch length to 0 - as described here ...http://sewing.about.com/library/blfreemot.htm

Even hand machines can do free motion work -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tcy2...eature=related
http://sewing.about.com/library/blfreemot.htm