Sunday 28 February 2010

Working Hard

Adopting a working pattern has had an advantage.  Starting 20 blocks and working the same stage on all 20 before moving onto the next stage was a bit of a revelation (probably common sense to some) and meant I completed all 20 today (9 hours work).  It's a working method I would follow in other textile/embroidery disciplines so can't think why it wasn't obvious in the first place!  For the first time in a long time I am keeping a record of the hours worked so will probably blog about it more than usual.  I apologise in advance for repetition of similar posts.


It started out as an exercise to try and cut down on the amount of time the iron was on ............ ironing each stage on all 20 blocks then switching it off rather than leave it on all day.  My iron is 2000w .......... am wondering about getting a 1200w one for £2.99 at Argos if it means saving on electric.  Would this be a significant saving or false economy?
.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

I suspect - although I'm no expert - that it might be a false economy. It probably depends on how heavily creased the blocks are and how much effort is needed to straighten them.

Anonymous said...

I think your squares are just beautiful...beautiful choice of fabrics. I enlarged them and appreciate their color shades and patterns. Also they are well pressed! Your many hours was worth all the care. I also hadn't really thought about the electricity problem. I leave my iron on all day, but my iron shuts off onto a 'standby' mode if not used in 5 minutes. Don't know if that standby uses electrity like an iron that is on all the time.?

Maggi said...

The colour in the blocks is lovely. I too hadn't thought about the iron as I tend to leave it on as well. Food for thought there.

Maggi said...

Thanks for the comments on my blog. I got so carried away browsing your blog that I forgot to say that in the first comment!

Leah said...

hi there - good to have you on the postcard challenge! look forward to seeing what artwork you do based on the monthly challenges.

and i love these blues here, so lovely!