Tuesday 23 June 2009

"Chickens"

My parents called in at the weekend and mum said "Ooh, you've made another chicken". Chicken? Who said anything about chicken?



Mum grew up surrounded by pigeon fanciers (grandfather & uncles) so the (rather loose it would seem) significance of the coloured head and rings on the legs. The ringlet on top of the head well here's a picture of me as a baby ............


Her dad was a "Simpsons" fan so rather than a "Homing" pigeon, I called it "Homer". Thought I'd explained this - perhaps I hadn't? Sorting through my bag of scraps earlier I found pieces for two more "chickens" that I'd cut out but scrapped so I.ve decided to make them up too - will post pics when they're done.


I've finished the bag ..............



Thankyou for your comments. I managed to stitch the handle in on the machine albeit breaking a needle in the process but it's probably time it was changed anyway. I've thought of another type of bag that would suit the handle but wouldn't know how to make the bag - thinking cap time!

I changed (covered) the blue silk binding in the end - not because I didn't like it but for ease of finishing. The bias part at the top was part of the seam allowance which I decided not to trim off due to the bulk hence the bias wasn't really wide enough neither did the blue silk lining have enough turning at the top now that there was the extra height so I went with the cotton and a cotton lining - it was easier to work! I think I've achieved what I set out to do so it satisfies a whim!

The reverse - ruffled up with my fingers ..............


The colours in these pics are somewhat different to those the other day - I think the true colour is somewhere between the two.


I always find the differing between peoples tastes and preferences very interesting. Mum loved the cream cushions I made recently but didn't give my bag a second glance!

4 comments:

Digitalgran said...

I love your reverse side. I hadn't realised it was reversible. What a great idea. I must try that with my next bag. The handle looks fantastic.
The world seems to be full of chickens this morning :)

Unknown said...

lovely bird - whatever it is! And th bag is beautiful, especially when ruffled.

Gina said...

Mums eh!? The bag is beautiful.

Daniel Nash said...

Thanks forr posting this