Saturday 20 June 2009

In a Quandry ............

I had an idea to make a little bag for myself - quite simple I thought .......... wrong!


The idea is that there were to be (I shall call them) beads - like above but plain blue velvet - where the handle meets the bag. These were placed over the end of the fabric so that there was only the rope to actually attach to the bag itself. I had them all attached but the handle just wouldn't sit right when stitched to the inside of the bag so I've removed them. It might not help that the rope wasn't in the centre of the fabric handle so I've taken that out ...............


The handles at a good half inch diameter are much too bulky to be stitched as they are so I thought about stitching them and removing as much bulk as possible but planning that out it just doesn't look right - maybe the silk binding at the top of the bag is creating too much of a divide?


Perhaps it looks better with matching binding? I like the body (incidentally it's not so elongated as it looks in the photo - must have been the angle I took the pic. from), I like the handle but maybe they are never going to sit together happily. Any comments/criticism welcome ....................

3 comments:

Digitalgran said...

That is a very beautiful bag! Maybe as you said the handle is a little heavy for it, but it's so very unusual and I wish I could say it was one I'd made. Can you spread out the ends of the rope so they are not so bulky? I often find that something I had problems with are the most successful in the end. Good luck with it.

Chris Gray said...

I like the plain bias band in picture #2 (better than the batik one in #3)

...and I also think that the handle is fine - not too chunky at all...

Love what you've done with the ripper too ;-)

MeganH said...

I shared your blog with a friend of mine and while I muttered about the bird and the rose bag, she raved about the bag. And then raved about it some more (the colours)

you new addition to my blog list, you.