Saturday 28 January 2012

More Cooking than Stitching

I've kinda lost my way a bit this week with the stitching.  First off I removed the paper from the back of the patched sleeves and noticed a lot of the bottom stitching was quite loose ..........a huge disappointment with myself for not checking earlier!  Thankfully it was only a top tension issue and tightening it up a notch seems to be ok.  I just need to get on with it!  The elephant is stuffed though ................




Cheese and bacon whirls (of which I ate far too many) ..............


Basically a cheese scone mix (salt, white pepper and mustard powder for plenty of flavour) mixed with egg and milk and with more cheese and minced lean unsmoked bacon laid on top before being rolled up and cut into slices.  A great use for Sainsbury's cooking bacon (£1.09 for 660g) as is the Bacon and Onion suet pudding we had for dinner last night.  I was going to take a pic this morning but the remaining portion in the fridge has gone!  For a cheap and easy dinner if anybody is interested .......

Bacon and Onion Suet Pudding
250g SR flour
125g Suet
Pepper, mustard powder and a little salt for seasoning
225g lean unsmoked bacon (rashers, chopped or minced)
1 large onion chopped

Mix all dry ingredients together with water for a manageable dough and roll out on a floured surface to about (guessing here) 9" x 12".  Place bacon and onion on top and, starting from the short end, roll up like a swiss roll.  Parcel in foil and, making sure any joins in the foil are on top, place into pan and steam for 2.5hrs.

We had apple shortcake this week too, here's one I made earlier:



I can't remember which recipe I used for the one in the photo but this week it was from Nigel Slater's "Kitchen Diaries" .............. just as he says except I don't caramelise the Bramleys too much as I prefer the crisp clean look of the apple and cooked for a little longer (more like 1hr rather than 40 minutes but that could be my oven and the fact I placed the baking tin on a tray) to prevent a soggy middle ............ the apples keep it moist anyway.  Oh, and I've ate far too much of that as well!
.

5 comments:

Angela said...

Your little elephant is so cute. I may have to make one of those for my daughter, she collects elephants. The cooking looks rather nice as well particularly the cheese and bacon whirls.

Chris Gray said...

I love that little elephant too!

...now could I do some "tribal" stuff on that?! :-)

Diane-crewe said...

Ill have a piece of cake when I come to steal the elephant...he want to come to my house xx

cottonreel said...

Ooooh!! food I'm trying to be so careful
What a superb elefunt . He's lovely

Lyn said...

The elephant is beautiful - just wish the food didn't look so good as well because just looking at it will make me gain a few pounds!